Club History

Dr. Don Tregonning, the first-ever captain of the Australian men’s hockey team, formed a team in May 1922 to compete in the Perth winter hockey competition. This team, known as Suburban (or "Subs"), grew into a club of many teams over the years and has been part of the local community and hockey community ever since.

Subs operated as a men’s-only club until 1991 when the first ladies’ teams were formed. In 2011, Suburban Nedlands Hockey Club merged with another long-running club in the western suburbs, Riverside Lions (formerly Subiaco Hockey Club), to form Suburban Lions.

We maintain two home grounds – Tregonning Fields at Highview Park in Nedlands, and Melvista Park in Nedlands.

We are the longest continuously operating hockey club in WA.

Sponsors

We Support